Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Beginning

So here we are.  I have a bike to work on.  I now have a bike to take and make it my own.

Lets take a look at what we have to work with:
1975 CB750F Right Side

1975 CB750F Rear

1975 CB750F Left Side

1975 CB750F Front

A 1975 CB750F Super Sport.  Everything looks like it's there for the most part.  It's a little rusted in a few places.  The bike turns over but does not run.  The controls are barely there and the right hand switches (on/off/start) are busted (the guy who I bought it from gave me a brand new one).

1975 CB750F Left Hand Controls
 Left Controls:


Upon initial inspection I noticed the gas tank was in pretty poor shape too.
1975 CB750F Tank Underside

1975 CB750F Tank Filler

Rusted Fuel Tank Opening


So taking an initial look at the bike, here's what will need to be done just to make it road worthy:
  • Revamp the gas tank
  • Rewire the right control (at a minimum)
  • Tear down and clean all carbs
  • Replace the fuses
  • Replace the battery
  • Tear down and rebuild brakes (front and rear)
My intentions over time are to not only make this bike road worth, but to go through the bike from the ground up.  This will take time, money, and resourcefulness but will surely pay off.  But again, first thing's first, the bike has to be made road worthy... aesthetics and upgrades can come later. 

In terms of upgrades, I'm not sure what I want to do just yet.  I don't think I want to just rip it apart and try to make a minimalist cafe racer; I have a 130hp sports bike to go fast on.  That being said, I don't think I'm just going to go full classic restoration either.  As it stands, my intentions are to do some modern day upgrades on things like the wiring, and controls while still leaving the classic styling.  My mind may change over time but we'll leave it up to the road ahead to determine that.

As far as the gas tank goes, I've actually had to deal with this before with the Rebel.  There are basically 2 says to deal with this:  A 3 part restoration kit which has low efficiency in cleaning out the tank, or electrolysis.  On my Rebel, I did the 3 part restoration; it worked, but knowing how it didn't take care of everything, I want to go a better route this time.  I plan on doing electrolysis to the tank to remove the rust and get it fuel worthy.

That's what the start of the project looks like.  Next post is getting into the actual work.  Can't wait!




No comments:

Post a Comment